Subject: SONY TELLS AIBO HACKER "NO NEW TRICKS"
From: Bernard Lang <Bernard.Lang@inria.fr>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 19:50:35 +0100

This is not a FSB issue, but certainly an interesting free software,
or rather free programming issue.

  Now if Sony is complaining that existing software is modified, they
may have a case under existing law (which makes me actually question
that law when it comes to the programming of specialized devices).

  But what if someone reprograms from scratch, or just adds new
modules on top of an existing frameworks (operating system).

  I do not have much more data on this case...

 The architecture of the actual software would be an interesting input.

Bernard

SONY TELLS AIBO HACKER "NO NEW TRICKS"
 Sony has demanded that the owner of a Web site that distributes free
software for enhancing the smarts of the cuddly robot pets, remove the
software from its site on pain of prosecution for copyright
infringement and altering its product without a license. The software
could be used to teach Aibo new tricks, such as disco dance steps and
additional vocabulary.  "This is a legal issue," said a Sony
Entertainment spokesman. "We don't support the development of software
by manipulating the existing Aibo software code -- hacking it." The
company's action has irked Aibo owners, who usually spend hundreds of
dollars on software from Sony, and were thrilled to get the free
enhancements. (AP 7 Nov 2001)
http://news.excite.com/news/ap/011107/14/sony-robot-hack

                 CAGED BEHIND WINDOWS or FREE WITH LINUX