Subject: Re: Bug Bounties. Making $ from bugzilla.
From: Ian Lance Taylor <ian@airs.com>
Date: 25 Nov 2001 20:20:12 -0800

burton@openprivacy.org (Kevin A. Burton) writes:

> > If I recall correctly, it was the experience of Cygnus that most patches
> > supplied were undesirable,
>
> Not my experience.  The problem with Cygnus was they did not have an Open
> Development Model at the time (as open as it is today).
>
> Thus patches came in "blind" without discussing them with project leads and
> other experts.

That turns out not to be the case.  Of course some patches came in
blind.  But there were mailing lists to discuss the projects; at the
time joining a list had to be approved by a project maintainer, but
they did include many people outside of Cygnus.

> I would say that most patches to Open projects such as Apache range on the 80%
> level.

If you meant that 80% of the submitted patches are directly usable, I
doubt it.  I've been involved with a bunch of free software projects,
though I've never been involved with Apache.

Ian