Subject: Re: Ximian's proprietary connector for open source Evolution
From: Zimran Ahmed <zimran_ahmed@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 20:19:12 -0800 (PST)

> > > Any one knows how Ximian is getting away (or
> not) with mixing proprietary
> > > "connector" software with an open source base?
> Is it the good-o dynamic
> > > linking does not violate GPL type of argument?

My question is why did he decide to open source the
PIM and make the connector proprietary. Wouldn't it
have been better to offer a proprietary PIM and an OSS
connector? PIMs are something less well suited to OSS
than connectors.

Also, others may modify an OSS connector so the client
works with more things--which is good for the client.
Not sure if you get the same level of benefit with
opening the client but keeping the PIM closed.

all the best,

zimran

=====
human-computer interaction over the next 25 years:
http://www.winterspeak.com