Subject: Re: Ximian's proprietary connector for open source Evolution
From: Alceste Scalas <tjoad@gmx.it>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 20:02:40 +0100
Wed, 5 Dec 2001 20:02:40 +0100
On Wed, Dec 05, 2001 at 08:37:36AM -0700, Jonathan Corbet wrote:
> Somebody, somewhere, tried to put forward a license that claimed
> network connections were "linking," but most people haven't tried to do
> that.

This is,  for example,  the case  of MySQL. Its  source code  is GNU
GPL'ed, but here's what you can read in its manual:

# 3.1 MySQL Licensing Policy
#
#    The formal terms of the GPL license can be found at section L GNU
#    General  Public  License.  Basically,  our licensing  policy  and
#    intepretation of the GPL is as follows:
#
#    [...]
#
#    For normal internal use, MySQL  costs nothing. You do not have to
#    pay us if you do not want to.
#
#    A license is required if:
#
#      [...]
#
#      * You have a commercial  application that ONLY works with MySQL
#        and  ships the application  with the  MySQL server.   This is
#        because we view  this as linking even if it  is done over the
#        network.
#
#    [...]
#
#    For circumstances  under which a  MySQL license is  required, you
#    need a license per machine that runs the mysqld server.
#
#    [...]
#
#   3.3.1 Selling Products that use MySQL
#
#    To determine whether or not you need a MySQL license when selling
#    your application,  you should ask whether  the proper functioning
#    of your application is dependent  on the use of MySQL and whether
#    you  include  the MySQL  server  with  your  product.  There  are
#    several cases to consider:
#
#      * Does your application require MySQL to function properly?
#
#        If your  product requires MySQL,  you need a license  for any
#        machine that  runs the mysqld server. For  example, if you've
#        designed  your application around  MySQL, then  you've really
#        made a  commercial product that  requires the engine,  so you
#        need a license.
#
#        If  your application  does not  require MySQL,  you  need not
#        obtain a license.  For example, if using MySQL just adds some
#        new optional features to your product (such as adding logging
#        to a database if MySQL is  used rather than logging to a text
#        file), it should fall within  normal use, and a license would
#        not be required.
#
#        In  other words, you  need a  license if  you sell  a product
#        designed specifically for use with MySQL or that requires the
#        MySQL server to function at  all. This is true whether or not
#        you provide  MySQL for  your client as  part of  your product
#        distribution.
#
#        It also depends  on what you're doing for  the client. Do you
#        plan  to provide  your client  with detailed  instructions on
#        installing MySQL with your software? Then your product may be
#        contingent on  the use  of MySQL;  if so, you  need to  buy a
#        license. If  you are  simply tying into  a database  that you
#        expect  already  to have  been  installed  by  the time  your
#        software  is  purchased,  then  you  probably  don't  need  a
#        license.
#
#    [...]
#
#   3.3.2 ISP MySQL Services
#
#    Internet Service  Providers (ISPs)  often host MySQL  servers for
#    their customers.  With the  GPL license this  does not  require a
#    license.
#
#    [...]
#
#   3.3.3 Running a Web Server Using MySQL
#
#    If you  use MySQL in conjunction  with a Web server  on Unix, you
#    don't have to pay for a license.
#
#    This is  true even if you  run a commercial Web  server that uses
#    MySQL,  because you  are not  selling an  embedded  MySQL version
#    yourself. However,  in this  case we would  like you  to purchase
#    MySQL support, because MySQL is helping your enterprise.

Regards,

Alceste
--
This .signature is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free

["application/pgp-signature" not shown]