Subject: Re: Thoughts on simputer?
From: Nick Jennings <nick@namodn.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 15:04:27 -0800

I like the idea of a simputer. Although it seems a little useless in some
ways. Like, what are you really going to do with that thing? A bunch of
486s at the town center would be more usefull that a bunch of these.

Assuming of course the main use will be of communal sharing. I don't see
why anyone would take this anywhere, because it's completely useless without
an internet connection (in my opinion). So you'd have to go to the
town internet connection area and hook it up anyway.

On Thu, Dec 13, 2001 at 04:04:26PM -0500, Ben_Tilly@trepp.com wrote:

> I have some misgivings (for instance interoperability with existing
> infrastructures).  But I find it an interesting thought that automatic
> localization may be readily amenable to open source solutions if you have a
> good architecture.  This is a commonly felt need, and there may be
> opportunities as people try to address it...

 You mean with the simcard? Yeah, although they aren't too clear on what
 this simcard is going to store. Just profile information basically - and
 no storage. <shrug> Don't see the point. It's a thougtfull idea, but
 I'll have to see it play out and see what it ends up being used for
 in the real world before I can really understand it's potential (or lack
 thereof).

--
  Nick Jennings