Subject: Re: Ghostscript, GPL, printers, ...
From: "L. Peter Deutsch" <ghost@aladdin.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 97 09:01 PST

> We have products where consisting entirely of software the is freely
> redistributable in the GNU sense is strategically important.  The cost
> breaking this feature for the minor benefits of upgrading to the latest
> Aladdin Ghostscript is not worth it.

Fair enough.  For products where this is not the case, I wonder if you have
examined the "minor benefits" closely enough.  For example, the current
Aladdin Ghostscript 5.10 is able to read most PDF 1.2 (Acrobat 3.x) files,
which is what most applications are now putting out, whereas the current GNU
Ghostscript 3.33 (and even GNU Ghostscript 3.53, which is in the pipe for
release) is not.

I'm glad to hear that unlike FSF, Yggdrasil has no serious objections to the
GNU Ghostscript documentation mentioning the existence of, and contact
information for, Aladdin's commercial licensing operation, as well as the
URL for Aladdin Ghostscript.  Since this information is in the first file
after the README that a new Ghostscript user will read, I'm satisfied that
Yggdrasil isn't actively concealing Aladdin Ghostscript from users.

--

L. Peter Deutsch         |       Aladdin Enterprises :::: ghost@aladdin.com
203 Santa Margarita Ave. | tel. +1-650-322-0103 (AM only); fax +1-650-322-1734