Subject: Re: FW: Why would I pay for Ximian software?
From: Bernard Lang <Bernard.Lang@inria.fr>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 09:50:18 +0100

Well ... that seems at least to be the current political wisdom.

but ...  this wisdom evolved for the economy of the 19th century, with
high investments and significant marginal costs in the production of
goods, and with generally tractable network effects.

  In the economy of intangibles, none of these premisses are true, and
there is good reason to believe that other ways of allocating goods,
of creating incentives might be more efficient, if only to avoid
monopolies that are the unavoidable result of current economic structures
in the realm of intangibles.

  The whole set-up is artificial anyway, based on how exchanges are
regulated.  And in the world of intangibles, regulation is everything.
Intellectual property (IP) laws  are in no way natural.  They are
artificially created and enforced, and strongly structure the system.
But there is no proof that this is optimal.
  It may be in some cases it is.  There is evidence that in others it
is not.
   For example I am still trying to find a single economic study that
asserts that the cuurent extension of patenting to software and
intellectual methods in fruitful, better for economic or technological
growth, of for a better society.

  If you have any, please tell me ?  (with references, please)

  If not ... are the statements below fully justified  ?

Bernard

                 CAGED BEHIND WINDOWS or FREE WITH LINUX