Subject: Re: Why would I pay for Ximian software?
From: D Henkel-Wallace <gumby@Henkel-Wallace.org>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 05:57:24 +0100

On Wednesday, December 19, 2001, at 12:03 , Ben Laurie wrote:
> "Kevin A. Burton - burtonator" wrote:
>>
>> Why would I pay for Ximian software?
>
> Coz its a bastard to build? Or, in fact, impossible last time I tried?

If this is true, can it really qualify as free software?

(This is an FSB question, not a metaphysical or rhetorical one).

At Cygnus we spent a huge amount of time making sure you could configure
and build our sources (i.e. sources for binaries we shipped) even if you
didn't already have the tools installed.  Sometimes this seemed
pointless, and it was always a huge pain, but it was very important both
from a "spirit of the license" point of view as well as a software
hygiene point of view.

Cygnus still spends this time and it shows.