Subject: Re: one stupid question
From: Ian Lance Taylor <ian@airs.com>
Date: 28 Dec 2001 09:35:12 -0800

AOtto@t-online.de (Andreas Otto) writes:

>  is the open-source model mostly feed by the existence of
>  nonfree software vendors like Microsoft and their behavior,
>
>  or is the open-source model something like a new new step
>  in evolution of the mankind ( e.g. a self-runner ),
>
>  or it is both

I don't know what you mean by the word ``feed'' in the first sentence,
but I would have to say that the answer is ``neither.''  (I also don't
know what a ``self-runner'' is.)

There are many motivations for working on free software, and none of
them are a ``new new step.''  The newest thing about it is a
characteristic of software, not of freedom: the ability to write a
program which can be run by many other people is a lot of leverage for
one person to have.  This is not seen in domains other than software,
except perhaps for truly novel inventions, and inspirational writing,
both of which are much more difficult than writing software.

Ian