Subject: Re: Studies
From: Bernard Lang <Bernard.Lang@inria.fr>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 18:30:41 +0100 (MET)

> If you mean that Corel does their development using Linux ...

they do more than that : they just produced a network computer
with  @ Linux Inside @ ... and are very proud of it in the press release.

And personally, freeloaders or not, I believe they did a great service
to the free software community by doing so. If free software is to
survive meaningfully, it will be because people who are considered
real by the community at large will make money with it.
  Once the concept of "godd free software" is accepted, people
will just see things differently... and then all may change.
That is why the "linux means business" column of LJ is so
important.

> ... the issue is whether what they contribute back to the pool of software
> ... a very small minority

  well, speaking in software terms, you are certainly right.
  But people contribute in other ways, for example by fighting hard
to get free software accepted in their company or other places.

  Again free software needs wide acceptance to live. I consider it a
real problem that so few CDROMs are published (especially games and
encyclopedias) that will run on Linux or other free OS. If Linux is
widely accepted by millions of free-loaders, then I will finally get
these encyclopedias running on Linux, where I want them.

Bernard

 Bernard.Lang@inria.fr             ,_  /\o    \o/    Tel  +33 (1) 3963 5644
 http://pauillac.inria.fr/~lang/  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  Fax  +33 (1) 3963 5469
                  CAGED BEHIND WINDOWS or FREE WITH LINUX