Subject: Re: FW: Why would I pay for Ximian software?
From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@wasabisystems.com>
Date: 02 Jan 2002 15:27:57 -0500

"La Monte Henry Piggy Yarroll" <piggy@baqaqi.chi.il.us> writes:
> > "What does Ximain provide that deserves $$$"?
>
> I sure met a lot of OSS developers at OLS who were being fed by
> Ximian.  (I mean specifically full-time employees of Ximian...)

In general, the open source software universe has this problem, which
is how to assure that smart people can make a living doing free/open
source software. Writing good large programs is a full time job, and
people need to have ways to paying for that.

Having started a company dedicated to an open source product (NetBSD
in my instance), let me say that this is a hard problem.

Perry
--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@wasabisystems.com