Subject: Re: BSA: January "Truce" ads airing, SF Bay Area
From: "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 16:12:58 -0800
wrote:

> > "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com> writes:
> > > While there's been some discussion of the BSA's campaign in the trade
> > > press, it seems to me that this would be the ideal time for a
> > > countercampaign by free software related companies (IBM, RH, Sendmail,
> > > Sun with StarOffice) to pitch free software alternatives.
> >
> > No one has budget to do that these days.
> >
> > (The general problem with neat schemes is the ability to execute them.)
>
> There are a number of other options.  Most public radio stations have a
> "viewpoint" or "perspective" feature, offering an opportunity to view an
> opinion on a topic of regional interest.  For KQED, the submission is
> at:
>
>     http://www.kqed.org/radio/perspectives/submissions.html
>
> Duration is 2 minutes, or about 300 - 350 words.  They even pay you for
> your troubles ($65 for submissions used).

Responding to myself, some resources which may be of use:

  - BSA's press release, "Business Software Alliance Offers Software
    Grace Period", Jan 2, 2002.
    http://bsa.org/usa/press/newsreleases//2001-12-21.835.phtml

  - BSA Member companies:
    http://www.bsa.org/intnatl/membercompanies.phtml

    [Hmm...that probably explains the lack of an IBM campaign...]

  - Google search:  bsa grace period microsoft sales
    http://www.google.com/search?q=bsa+grace+period+microsoft+sales

  - Michael R. Zimmerman, "Truce or Dare", eWeek, July 30, 2001.
    http://www.eweek.com/article/0,3658,s%253D704%2526a%253D10091,00.asp

    But what you probably don't know is that, like so many of the
    companies that stuff your mailboxes with junk mail, the BSA, which
    represents such software giants as Microsoft Corp., Adobe Systems
    Inc. and Apple Computer Inc., has no intention of following up on
    its letters--regardless of how threatening and personal they may
    seem. It won't phone. And it won't pop in for a surprise audit.

  - James Watson, "Law firm urges caution over BSA piracy forms", The
    Register, Nov 26, 2001
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/archive/23020.html

    A major corporate law firm is advising UK companies which receive a
    software audit form from the Business Software Alliance to "Proceed
    with Care!" when deciding whether to complete it.

  - Ed Foster, "Coincidence, or is BSA's anti-piracy program really a
    Microsoft effort?", InfoWorld, January 22, 2001.
    http://www.infoworld.com/articles/op/xml/01/01/22/010122opfoster.xml

    SOFTWARE PIRACY IS a terrible thing, but you have to wonder about
    how some companies choose to combat it. And the one you have to
    wonder about most is Microsoft.

  - Ed Foster, "BSA's truce campaigns", Infoworld, August 27, 2001.
    http://www.infoworld.com/articles/op/xml/01/08/27/010827opfoster.xml

    UNDER THE NAME of the Business Software Alliance (BSA), Microsoft
    and its allies continue to bombard small businesses with anti-piracy
    mailings demanding that customers audit their licensing compliance;
    it is becoming pretty obvious who the real buccaneers are in search
    of plunder.

  - Ed Foster, "BSA's and Microsoft's scare tactics target small fish
    in big-city ponds", InfoWorld, January 29, 2001.
    http://www.infoworld.com/articles/op/xml/01/01/29/010129opfoster.xml

    HOW LIKELY ARE YOU to find the Business Software Alliance's (BSA's)
    compliance police at your door one day, warrant in hand to check
    for pirated software? Your risk may have less to do with the amount
    of unlicensed software you have and more to do with the size and
    location of your company.

  - Microsoft "Channel Partners" letter, December, 2001
    http://www.microsoft.com/partner/Businessresources/antipiracy/antipiracycampaign/bsa.asp

    We're writing to you today to tell you about an important and unique
    opportunity for you to act as a valuable resource to your customers
    and to increase your revenue. You may have already heard how well
    the Business Software Alliance (BSA) software legalization campaign
    has positively affected our Partners' revenue, due to its
    unprecedented success in educating businesses about software piracy.
    This campaign has been very successful in educating end users about
    the benefits of becoming software compliant.

  - Rick Perera, "BSA reports fight against software piracy hits snag",
    InfoWorld, May 22, 2001
    http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/01/05/22/010522hnpiracy.xml

    [Illicit SW use didn't drop in 2000, first time in 6 years].
    The lack of progress in combating piracy could be due at least in
    part to a poor business climate, said Bob Kruger, BSA's vice
    president of enforcement.

    [...]

    In conjunction with the study, BSA kicked off its International
    Sweeps Week, a campaign to reach financial settlements with
    companies and organizations targeted for using illegal copies of
    software.

  - Microsoft "BSA Grace Period - What It Means To You" MS PowerpointŪ
    presentation by Michael Church and Angela Morrow.
    http://www.microsoft.com/partner/businessresources/antipiracy/antipiracycampaign/bsa
grace.asp

    Media Outreach activities to generate earned media:
    TV, radio, and newspaper reports, BSA Direct Mail, Microsoft Direct
    Mail, BSA Radio advertising, [and] online marketing:  Banner ads, e-mail
    blasts, newsletter sponsorships.

    [...]

    To help you promote the Grace Period, we're supplying you with:
    Sample Direct Mail Letter, Sample Postcard, Sample E-mail, Sample
    PowerPoint Presentation, Talking Points.

    [...]

    Need help?  It's here for you.  For information about the BSA and
    the Grace Period:  Call 1-877-536-4BSA.  Visit www.bsagrace.com.
    [Note that bsagrace.com is adminstered from Kent, WA, though the BSA
    itself is located in Washinton, DC, and is "bsagrace.com", while the
    BSA goes by "bsa.org".  Hmm...]

    What's in it for you? ....Boost your revenue -- millions generated
    through the channel!

Looks like a pretty cozy relationship between MSFT and the BSA here.

Incidentally, the bsagrace.com website also contains links to prior
campaigns in February, May, July, and October, 2001, and August and
November of 2000.  Each targets a small set of cities, on a rolling
basis, distributed across the country within a given campaign.

Peace.

We freed Dmitry! Boycott Adobe! Repeal the DMCA! http://www.freesklyarov.org

["application/pgp-signature" not shown]