Subject: Good luck!
From: "Russell Nelson" <nelson@CRYNWR.COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1993 00:03:03 EST

Someone mentioned accepting credit cards.  OY!

Good luck getting a merchant account nowadays.  A merchant account is
one that lets you process VISA/MC slips.  Banks are VERY paranoid
about giving out merchant accounts.  Every bank I've talked to
insists that you have a storefront, get a signature, and handle the
card.  I was told by one that, after you've been in business for a
while, they'll consider taking mail/phone order accounts.

There are also companies that exist solely to process merchant
accounts, called Independent Service Organizations.  They usually
charge an application fee (I've seen two that want $295).  Look in
the Yellow Pages under Credit Card - Merchant Services.  Watch out
for equipment leasing -- it's usually a ripoff.

Also, you are completely at risk for anything you provide.  The
customer can call their credit card company and ask for a chargeback.
It's up to you to prove that they received the goods (or services).

--
-russ <nelson@crynwr.com> What canst *thou* say?
Crynwr Software           Crynwr Software sells packet driver support.