Subject: Re: Studies
From: "William C. Cheng" <william@cs.umd.edu>
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 1997 14:18:03 -0500

  > Do you -- or does anyone reading this discussion -- know of licenses other
  > than the AFPL which combine gratis non-commercial distribution with
  > commercial licensing, like the AFPL?

I've been distributing an X-based drawing software called tgif for the
past few years with the following copyright notice (verbatim):

    Copyright (C) 1990-1997, William Chia-Wei Cheng

    This file is part of "tgif".

    William Cheng ("Author") grants to the party hereby receiving "tgif"
    ("Recipient") a non-exclusive, royalty-free license limited to copy,
    display, and distribute without charging for a fee, and produce derivative
    works of "tgif", provided that the above copyright notice appears in
    all copies made of "tgif" and both the copyright notice and this license
    appear in supporting documentation, and that the name of Author not be
    used in advertising or publicity pertaining to "tgif".  All other rights
    (including, but not limited to, the right to sell "tgif", the right to
    sell derivative works of "tgif", and the right to distribute "tgif" for
    a fee) are reserved by the Author.

    "Tgif" is provided "as is" without express or implied warranty. Author
    does not and cannot warrant the performance of "tgif" or the results
    that may be obtained by its use or its fitness for any specific use by
    Recipient or any third party.  In no event shall Author become liable
    to Recipient or any other party, for any loss or damages,
    consequential or otherwise, including but not limited to time, money,
    or goodwill, arising from use or possession, authorized or not, of
    "tgif" by Recipient or any other party.

To date, the only "commercial licenses" I've granted have been given to
Linux distributors for free.  If a Linux distributor sells its CD for
less than $50, I simply grant a "commercial license" for this vendor
without charging them.

I don't plan to make money off of tgif, but I don't like to see other people
making money from it.  Also, if I come up with a Win32 version of tgif a few
years down the road and if I wish to sell it, I would hate to "compete with
my own code" if I allow people to sell derived work of tgif.
--
Bill Cheng // bill.cheng@acm.org <URL:http://bourbon.cs.umd.edu:8001/william/>