Subject: Re: Intellectual Property Reform
From: Ben_Tilly@trepp.com
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 10:37:55 -0500

Kevin Burton wrote:
> "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com> writes:
[...]
> > His term suggestion is on the order of 50 years, essentially rolling
the clock
> > back to the situation in the early 1970s.
>
> 50 years is WAY too long for software.  The entire software industry is
> hardly older than 30 years.

I might grant you that most members of the software industry are under
30, but the software industry itself predates the early 70's by
several decades.  (Heck, the next programmer over from me has been
programming for over 30 years!)

As for Lessig's proposal, remember that Lessig is talking about
copyright in general.  The issues of copyright go well beyond their
application to programming, and longer terms make more sense when you
come to, for instance, publishing books.

Cheers,
Ben