Subject: Perens on arch
From: Tom Lord <lord@regexps.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 05:30:29 -0800 (PST)

Bruce Perens sums it up well (from Slashdot):

    Bruce Perens writes: "He'll have to change its name, but Tom Lord's
    arch revision control system is revolutionary. Where CVS is a
    cathedral, 'arch' is a bazaar, with the ability for branches to live
    on separate servers from the main trunk of the project's development.
    Thus, you can create a branch without the authority, or even the
    cooperation, of the managers of the main tree. A global name-space
    makes all revision archives worldwide appear as if they are the same
    repository. Using this system, most of what we do using 'patch' today
    would go away -- we'd just choose, or merge, branches. Much of the
    synchronization problem we have with patches is handled by tools that
    eliminate and/or manage conflicts -- they solve some of the thorny
    graph topology issues around patch management. Arch also poses its own
    answer to the 'Linus Doesn't Scale' problem. This is well worth
    checking out."

So, anyone wanna help put some resources behind this collaborative
development technology?

-t