Subject: Re: improving project maintainership
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@xemacs.org>
Date: 09 Feb 2002 13:58:27 +0900

    Simon> Ben Laurie:
    >> > Zope Corp. appears to be IBM and Sun (for example) both do it

    Simon> Oh, even educated fleas do it, but that doesn't mean it's a
    Simon> viable long term business strategy and that the maintainers
    Simon> in question won't be first against the wall when the
    Simon> depression comes.

C'mon Simon, after reading between the lines[1] of Tom's post I agreed
with your comment as a response to that post.

But the Tiemann-Turoff-Laurie subthread is not about taxation, with or
without representation, it's about observing that there is an
evolution toward supporting maintainership for the purposes of a
company's own profit.

I think that this observation relates to a real phenomenon.  In
particular, to the long-term trend in business strategy theory that
may be summed up with the buzzwords "stick to your core competence",
"outsourcing", and "creating `virtual' firms".

Whether the theory is valid or viable in the long run or in the face
of a depression is an interesting question, and definitely open to
debate.  But my observations suggest that big companies really are
acting on the basis of that theory.

Footnotes:
[1]  Which is necessary, unfortunately.