Subject: Re: improving project maintainership
From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2002 22:18:45 -0700 (MST)

    I've advocated the goal of maximizing the "volume" (in some sense) of
    free software that is available, regardless of the use of non-free
    software outside that sphere.

We cannot join you, because if said that was the goal, we would be
contradicting our principal message.  We evaluate the success of free
software by the amount that you can do using a system that is 100%
free.

Once in a while it can be a good idea to take a leap and assume the
gaps will be filled in, but not always.  I've seen numerous non-free
packages worm their way into places of importance which they occupy
for many years.  Motif took around a decade to replace, and look how
long we have struggled with Java.  So we must not adopt a blanket
policy of accepting this approach.  We have to teach people to be on
guard against falling into a pit we can't get out of.

We have to act in ways that are consistent with what we want to
teach to others.