Subject: Re: improving project maintainership
From: Tom Lord <lord@regexps.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 02:49:21 -0800 (PST)

       Stephen:

       What I intended was to describe a role, "infrastructure
       developer".  The fact that you also see the need for explicitly
       filling that role is all I was implying.  I don't think it can be
       effectively filled by GNU without a change of policy.

Agreed.  I think FSBs need to take the lead and that they have natural
patrons for doing so in the semi-FSB hw manufacturers
(Compaq,HP,IBM,Sun, et al.), sibling industries (esp. telecom), big IT
consumers and probably some other markets I'm not recalling just now.

I do think that GNU can be good for such a shift, and such a shift
good for GNU, but as you say -- not without changes.  Specifically
which changes we could probably disagree about.

-t