Subject: Re: improving project maintainership
From: Nick Jennings <nick@namodn.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 10:00:05 -0800

On Sun, Feb 10, 2002 at 07:09:21PM -0700, Richard Stallman wrote:

> It was justified by very special circumstances which do not arise very
> often.  The context is also very different now.  Now our community has
> many people who say that using non-free software is perfectly ok
> whenever that is convenient.  Spreading the contrary view is therefore
> a high priority for us.

 I'd say the case of ssh was a very special circumstance.

 It's not often a proprietary application is adopted to be a 'must
 have' for even a basic Linux/BSD server. But privacy is something
 we all hold close. Encrypted sessions are a must have, and I did
 not know many people that would sacrifice thier privacy to avoid
 "sleeping with the enemy" for a little while.

 Once OpenSSH was out, it was all a non-issue.

 Also - I think the case of ssh was actually a big motivator behind
 getting a free replacement ASAP. I personally do not like to be
 at the mercy of non-free software, I and thousands others adopted
 OpenSSH as soon as it came out. If I had experience in cryptography
 I might have contributed (while updating my sources using CVS_RSH=ssh).

--
  Nick Jennings