Subject: Re: improving project maintainership
From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 08:24:49 -0700 (MST)

    Richard, you are careful to correct people when they say that you are
    in the open source movement.  Well, the people you claim to be in "our
    community' are not a part of the free software movement.

That is correct.  These people are in our community, the free software
community, but they do not support the free software movement.  Some
support the open source movement.  Some may oppose both.  Some don't
care.  The people in a particular community do not necessary agree in
their views.

    They are instead, members of the open source community.

There is no separate open source community; we are all part of one
community, even though we disagree and support different movements.
Our community is the free software community because it was
deliberately built by the efforts of the free software movement.