Subject: Re: improving project maintainership
From: "Jonathan S. Shapiro" <shap@eros-os.org>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 11:13:35 -0500

From: "Richard Stallman" <rms@gnu.org>

>     They are instead, members of the open source community.
>
> There is no separate open source community...

We cannot be in the same community, because the part (the free software
community) cannot contain the whole (the open source community).

To say we are in the same community when one party is so unwilling to
cooperate is absurd. It is rather like saying that Christians, Moslems, and
Jews are in a common community made up of believers in the Western idea of
deity. At some level of abstraction so wispy as to be meaningless it is
true, but it has no impact on the operational behavior of anyone.

I respect Richard's willingness to stick to his principles. There is ample
room for that within the open source community. I object when he claims I am
part of his community (the "free software community"). I do not wish to be
tarnished by his and FSF's reputation for rigidity, and I do not believe
that there is an inalienable right to source code any more than I believe
there is an inalienable right to oxygen. Source code, for me, is a business
strategy.

We can work together without the need to compromise each other's positions.

Jonathan