Subject: Re: improving project maintainership
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@xemacs.org>
Date: 13 Feb 2002 01:15:00 +0900

>>>>> "rms" == Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

    rms> sjt writes:

          I don't know what you think of as "neutral", but to me
    it would have involved participating in the discussions, and
    making sure that all references to ssh and scp were purged
    from the documentation of the standard and from the GNU Emacs
    implementation.

    rms> You seem to be defining "neutrality" as active support.

Active support for improving Emacs, yes, while taking care not to give
good press, or any press, to non-free software.

There need have been no support for ssh as such in Emacs; that
requires defining handlers for the file operations, process management
functionality, various bookkeeping.  Although that was under
discussion---several people were interested in a transparent ssh file
transport---Kai planned to handle the ssh handler implementation
himself, outside of either Emacs or XEmacs.  So it would have been
easy to say no to ssh while saying yes to an interface standard.

What required cooperation among the Emacs and XEmacs developers was
simply defining API and UI for remore file transport handlers.