Subject: Re: improving project maintainership
From: "Federico Lucifredi" <mf9539@mclink.it>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 13:07:04 -0500

>     They are instead, members of the open source community.
>
> There is no separate open source community; we are all part of one
> community, even though we disagree and support different movements.
> Our community is the free software community because it was
> deliberately built by the efforts of the free software movement.

I would not think that there is a "different" Open Source community. Like
many others, I use the licensing to group things together as sets.

There is therefore a broader Open Source community that has within itself a
smaller subset, the Free Software movement. Belonging to the OS set implies
availability of the source code in some form, belonging into the FS set
implies greater Freedom on what to do of such code as specified in the GPL.
There might be other, disjoint subsets of the OS set that grant other,
"different" rights (such as linking to proprietary libraries) and do not
necessarily intersect hte FS set.

Besides, I find it quite hard to see how the Open Source community might be
called the 'Free Software community' when, as you claimed a few messages
ago, they are not interested in what the FS people are trying to achieve. It
is quite the case as if the Republicans demanded this country to be called
the "Republican community", all of its people "republicans", while granting
that there is a 50% of "Democrats" ot there that are part of the community
while not necessarily sharing in its values.

Perhaps what has most often been done with sets should be continued. So
there are Americans, there are "Open Source people", and among them are
those who are also (or especially), "Free Software People", notwithstanding
the /fact/ that they are Open Source people as well because they support
code openness.

It should be quite clear which set is a subset of the other based on how
restrictive membership conditions in the two are. Or would you prefer be
called a Republican ? ;-)

-F