Subject: Re: Free Software vs. Open Source
From: Simon Cozens <simon@netthink.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 01:20:24 +0000

Ben_Tilly@trepp.com:
> For example Larry Wall has gone to lengths with Perl to make it clear
> that he thinks it is fine for people to take what he has given away and
> use it within proprietary products they resell.  Indeed Larry's beliefs
> on this are strong enough that the Perl community has had to go well out
> of its way to duplicate work that exists in the GPLed world just to
> avoid being bound by that license.

You are so far off base I don't know whether to collapse in hysterics
of rage or hysterics of anger.

What next, would you like to claim that FreeBSD has deliberately gone
"well out of its way" to create a non-GPLed Unix, duplicating work
that exists in the GPLed world? Would you like to show me a GPLed CPAN
the we duplicated "just to avoid being bound by that license"?

You are wrong, completely wrong, and I would urge you to apologise.

--
Given an infinite amount of monkeys an infinite amount of time, an
infinite amount of drafting supplies, and an infinite amount of crack,