Subject: Re: Free Software vs. Open Source
From: Simon Cozens <simon@netthink.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 23:01:18 +0000

Ben_Tilly@trepp.com:
> And my understanding was that this episode was responsible for your
> Sapphire project.  To my eyes that is one of the best demonstrations
> that I have ever seen of the value of lowering licensing barriers to
> code reuse and taking full advantage of open development techniques.

No. Sapphire won't happen because GNU libraries just ain't portable enough.
Perl 5 ran on over 80 platforms; most of the libraries out there we want to
use struggle to run on anything that doesn't look like Unix. *That*'s why we
have to reinvent lots of wheels.

--
"Language shapes the way we think, and determines what we can think about."
-- B. L. Whorf