Subject: Re: Meeting the MS challenge
From: Bernard Lang <Bernard.Lang@inria.fr>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 1997 19:27:22 +0100 (MET)

| >    therefore, I think the most successful model of libre software
| >    development in the long run will be one where no single person
| >    bears this load.
| >
| > In my personal experience, the exact opposite is true.
|
| In mine also.  But I don't think a critical mass of libre software --
| a mass large enough make a difference -- will be reached if it depends
| on single individuals producing each item.  That's why I said "in the
| long run".

  I was under the impression (but I really still have to look at the
details) that one reason for the success of Gimp is that the
architecture allows many people to make contributions in a rather
independent way.
   Or, to take another example, the threads in Linux were developed
concurrently by twelves competing groups or people, from an a priori
given interface. That seems to me one reason for getting very good
sofware.
  The same is probably true of various Unix utilities.

  That was my motivation for asking whether architecture and
modularity (platform based structures in particular, with independent
plug-ins) may help spreading the load over many shoulders, and at the
same time allow competitive and incremental improvements.
  Is that view too naive ?

Bernard

 Bernard.Lang@inria.fr             ,_  /\o    \o/    Tel  +33 (1) 3963 5644
 http://pauillac.inria.fr/~lang/  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  Fax  +33 (1) 3963 5469