Subject: Re: Free Software AND Open Source
From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 20:12:29 -0700 (MST)

    2)I often give talks about Qt. in spite of it having been released under the
    GPL for years now, the aftereffect of the mass campaign the FSF did against
    KDE/Qt is still visible.

Now that Qt is free software, the old reason to disapprove of it is no
longer applicable.  It is unfortunate that people do not all recognize
this.  However, despite this unfortunate consequence, the campaign was
necessary and beneficial.  If we had not had this campaign, Qt would
probably be non-free software still.

     I usually try to clear the mess on the subject but
    "religious extremists" of the GPL  see the matter so strongly that they have
    no problem with people pushing Java to them as Open while they still frown
    on Qt's licensing "because it allows for multiple licenses, not GPL only".

Anyone who says that is clearly not taking his cue from me.  If you
tell me how to contact them, I will be glad to try to explain to them
why Qt is free software and Sun's Java implementation is not.  But
I can't guarantee they will listen to me.