Subject: Re: improving project maintainership
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@xemacs.org>
Date: 15 Feb 2002 11:52:55 +0900

>>>>> "rms" == Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

    rms> We are willing to cooperate with people who treat us with
    rms> ordinary respect (the same respect we would expect to give
    rms> them), in ways that help advance our goals.  We will not set
    rms> our goals aside just in order to have cooperation.

I am saddened and shocked that the author of the GNU Manifesto can so
openly deprecate the value of cooperation for its own sake, and also
exclude cooperation from the goals of the free software movement.  You
need not "clarify".  You have made this kind of statement repeatedly,
and to my mind your behavior amply verifies your words.

But if free software is not about cooperation _first and foremost_, it
is mere fetishism[1], deserving of no consideration from civilized
women and men.  If the free software movement cannot afford to value
cooperation for its own sake, then, paradoxically, it can not truly be
about free software.

I am very much saddened.

Footnotes:
[1]  Cf. Marx's treatment of capitalism as fetishism.