Subject: Re: Free Software vs. Open Source
From: Ben_Tilly@trepp.com
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 09:27:24 -0500

Simon Cozens wrote:
> Karsten M. Self:
> > I don't think Ben's off base at all.
>
> But Ben was not talking about FreeBSD or OpenBSD, but about Perl, where
> he is off-base.

But I also backed up my comments with quotes from licenses, Larry Wall,
and yourself which clarified what I was saying and why I had believed it
to be the case.  If you want to remind yourself of those quotes, see
http://www.crynwr.com/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?mss:7203:200202:neaklamgkdhphlfabioo
to refresh your memory.

While you later corrected me on one important point, your comment that I
should show you a GPLed CPAN that Perl duplicated strongly suggests to
me that you seriously misunderstood what I said.  No amount of new and
innovative work has any relevance to the question of whether or not
extra work has been done to avoid being bound by the GPL.  And while you
say that portability is the real reason for Perl duplicating work now,
the threads I linked to before had plenty of quotes showing that people
*would* be willing to do extra work to avoid Perl being GPLed.

Ben