Subject: Re: Free Software vs. Open Source
From: Ben_Tilly@trepp.com
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 11:19:09 -0500

Simon Cozens wrote:
> Ben_Tilly@trepp.com:
> > But I also backed up my comments with quotes from licenses, Larry Wall,
> > and yourself which clarified what I was saying and why I had believed
it
> > to be the case.
>
> The quotes show that there are more than zero Perl developers who think
that
> reinventing the wheel is a good idea, but on the other hand, the likes of
> myself are strongly opposed to reinventing the wheel on political
grounds.

> This is precisely the opposite of what you are arguing, and so I don't
> see how you think those quotes back you up.

Far from being precisely opposite, it *exactly* supports my original
point that there exist people who believe in open source, but disagree
with the FSF, and are willing to back up their disagreement by accepting
extra work in producing open source software that is not bound by the
GPL license.

I never claimed that Simon Cozens was an example of that.  Indeed in the
links I gave, I gave one which I called your opinion on the topic.  The
phrase "barking mad" featured significantly.  I also linked to a post
of yours which I claimed as significant food for thought *against*
reinventing wheels.  Those should make it obvious that you are not
someone who is for rewriting software just to avoid the GPL.

But the fact that - as you agree - there are Perl developers who serve
as examples shows that examples exist.  No matter how many Perl
developers serve as non-examples.

Cheers,
Ben