Subject: Re: Free Software vs. Open Source
From: Ben_Tilly@trepp.com
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 11:52:23 -0500

Simon Cozens wrote:
> Ben_Tilly@trepp.com:
> > But the fact that - as you agree - there are Perl developers who serve
> > as examples shows that examples exist.
>
> Well, there are Perl developers who talk about these things. And calling
> these people developers is a bit of a stretch, since a large number of
> people involved in the discussion process haven't written a single line
> of code.

That is true in most open source projects.

> And for a feel of how the project is actually going, I'd rather trust the
> coders than the toy politicians on any mailing list. Wouldn't you, Ben?

My reading of that discussion left me with a mental label that says that
Dan Sugalski is someone who was willing to do extra work to avoid
licensing issues.  See
http://archive.develooper.com/bootstrap@perl.org/msg00404.html for an
example of why I think that.

I believe it is obvious that Dan is a real developer.

BTW what are we arguing about?  And why?

Ben