Subject: Re: Wal-mart drives software industry
From: Tom Lord <lord@regexps.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 19:09:03 -0800 (PST)

That does indeed clarify Gumby's pessimism.  Thanks for a great post.

	I think there are two typical routes for a startup to sell into
	enterprise IT (no doubt creative people can come up with others).

	The first is to hire a ``rainmaker;'' [....]

	The second is to get industry analysts [....]

Another aspect of my model of big IT is that a lot of it is driven by
hero worship and success stories from blue chips and emerging blue
chips -- that those are the stories that industry analysts pick up on
and that give rainmakers solid points of reference.  To warp the old
saying about IBM, "nobody ever got fired for implementing a strategy
from Jack Welsh".

Purely idle speculation for someone in my current class position, but:
if the server vendors and an FSB came up with a IETF-like structure
for IT infrastructure (meaning implementations, not just standards)
and found just one or two news-worthy customers, that might help break
the inertia that has "accreted since the dawn of the information age"
and lead to an environment in which the IT customers are participating
much more meaningfully in architecting a tractable, evolving
infrastructure.  That transition (to tractable and evolving) _must_
happen eventually and it seems to me like the only question is whether
it happens in developed countries first, as a result of intelligent
action, or developing economies first, repeating the pattern of the
automobile industry in the US and Japan (the result of intelligent
action less constrained by historical baggage).

FSB obscure aside: why the hell isn't there an accurate, free
implementation of XML Schema validators?  For that matter, why the
hell are people content with code as messy as expat?

-t