Subject: Re: Wal-mart drives software industry
From: "Brian J. Fox" <bfox@ua.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 02:55:59 -0800

   Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 05:42:38 -0800 (PST)
   From: Tom Lord <lord@regexps.com>

      From: "Brian J. Fox" <bfox@ua.com>

      I'd like to point out that Ian expressed the opinions of his
      *customers*, and, in doing so, demonstrated that he knows how his
      customers think.

   Actually, he expressed something about the decision making processes
   in the complex organizations who are/were among his prospective
   customers.  Unless you want to attribute the concept of thought to
   corporations (you're not an AI geek are you?) you're oversimplifying
   his post as excuse to add *emphasis* around the word *customer*.

I put the emphasis around *customer* because this list is about
*business* -- and there is no business without customers, and it
appeared to me that you don't know who your customer is.

	 There's also a kind of grass-roots IT to approach indirectly:
	 e.g. I know of a bunch of small restaurants that would
	 benefit from more facile supply chain management.

      Someone would have to sell these resturants a solution -- something
      that solves a pain or need.  No matter what your speculation, you
      won't know what the customer wants until you talk to the customer and
      find out.  (And supply chain isn't solvable at the resturant.)

   There's so many things wrong with that statement that I don't know
   where to start.  The close observation of restaurants, including chats
   with the purchasing decision makers is a minor hobby of mine.

Then you already know what your customer will buy.  What stops you
from selling it to them?

   Food and all the channels of its distribution and transformation
   are among the most important topics in the world and I take them
   very, very seriously.

Then you also know that supply chain isn't solvable at the resturant.

      I don't disagree with your assessment that technology could be better
      used in many venues that we all see day-to-day.  But I urge you to
      understand the typical Mom & Pop by simply *talking* to them.

   *Thanks* for the *tip*, duke, but I'm *way* ahead of you.

No, you're not.  If you want to catch up to where I was 2 years ago,
you can create a company that delivers a supply chain solution to
satisfied customers in the global automotive industry, utilizing free
software tools, languages, and processes.

And my name isn't "duke".  It's okay if you don't know who I am or
what I've done, but try to use my name.

Brian
== The Difference Between Cultures: ==
    Einigkeit und Recht und Freiheit