Subject: Re: Wal-mart drives software industry
From: Tom Lord <lord@regexps.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 06:21:31 -0800 (PST)

	   There's so many things wrong with that statement that I don't know
	   where to start.  The close observation of restaurants, including chats
	   with the purchasing decision makers is a minor hobby of mine.

	Then you already know what your customer will buy.  What stops you
	from selling it to them?

The immaturity of the technology.  For starters, before we even get to
the lame software: "Here, drop this on that concrete floor and see
what happens -- or -- here, spill this on that."  (Sure, there are
commodity hardened solutions, but not at the right price points.  And
sure, that could be fixed in today's markets, but that's not within my
power as a lone wolf.)

	   Food and all the channels of its distribution and transformation
	   are among the most important topics in the world and I take them
	   very, very seriously.

	Then you also know that supply chain isn't solvable at the resturant.

Depends on the restaurant.  For typical places, locked into
monopoly-controlled suppliers, you're right: they're in a miserable
state.  For non-typical places, who also tend to be trend-setters, and
who already exploit available technology to achieve flexibility in
purchasing, you're wrong.  Of course this also varies from region to
region -- in some regions, the entire import system is
monopolistically controlled (to it's detriment) and there's precious
little by way of local production.

	   And my name isn't "duke".  It's okay if you don't know who
	   I am or what I've done, but try to use my name.

Sorry, Jake.

-t