Subject: Re: Wal-mart drives software industry
From: Ben_Tilly@trepp.com
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 10:35:34 -0500

Brian Fox wrote:
>    Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 05:42:38 -0800 (PST)
>    From: Tom Lord <lord@regexps.com>
>
>       From: "Brian J. Fox" <bfox@ua.com>
[...]
>       I don't disagree with your assessment that technology could be
better
>       used in many venues that we all see day-to-day.  But I urge you to
>       understand the typical Mom & Pop by simply *talking* to them.
>
>    *Thanks* for the *tip*, duke, but I'm *way* ahead of you.
>
> No, you're not.  If you want to catch up to where I was 2 years ago,
> you can create a company that delivers a supply chain solution to
> satisfied customers in the global automotive industry, utilizing free
> software tools, languages, and processes.
>
> And my name isn't "duke".  It's okay if you don't know who I am or
> what I've done, but try to use my name.

Tom, please take my sincere advice.

Find out who Brian Fox is, what he has done, and then hang your head
in shame.  Given that both Brian and Fox are common names, you might
find things faster if you also look up readline, bash, finger, info, and
so on.  Then you can move on to more recent stuff.  Such as naming which
company Brian Fox is referring to.  (Hint.  The relevance of "2 years
ago" is that he voluntarily stepped down from it in September 2000 to
have time with his children.)

You need look no farther than this example to realize exactly why you
seem to rub people the wrong way.

And a hint on how to solve your chicken and egg problem.  If your
behaviour on this list showed an ability to learn from the advice of
people who have been there, done that, and have a clue, then you would
not have your problem any more.  Rail against the world being unfair all
all you want.  But VC will want a short proposal, and a recommendation
from someone they respect.  That is a good filter, and you are right now
being filtered out.  For good reason.

Let me make this crystal clear.  There is no shortage of people on this
list who COULD give you that recommendation.  They won't give it UNLESS
you convince them that you have a good enough chance that they won't
look like morons for recommending you.  One of them just told you what
your first step to developing a real business plan is, and you told him
to piss off.  Do you think he is going to recommend you to some VC?
Suppose some VC asks him about this Tom Lord guy, what do you think he
is going to say?

Think about it.

Ben