Subject: Re: Wal-mart drives software industry
From: Tom Lord <lord@regexps.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 14:01:21 -0800 (PST)

   From: "Forrest J. Cavalier III" <mibsoft@mibsoftware.com>

   > There's so many things wrong with that statement that I don't know
   > where to start.  The close observation of restaurants, including chats
   > with the purchasing decision makers is a minor hobby of mine.  Food
   > and all the channels of its distribution and transformation are among
   > the most important topics in the world and I take them very, very
   > seriously.

   Could that interest be because present (and future) software
   development looks very similar to food distribution.  It is
   the oldest service industry that delivers a product, not
   a service.

   For FSB, the recurring need isn't there.  Free software is
   not consumable.

All I meant to do with the comment that sparked the entire restaurant
thread is to point out that there are opportunities to transform
economies using IT at multiple scales, not just the global scale we
usually talk about, while acknowledging that the sales problem for the
smaller scales is much harder and harder to make lots of money at.

If all we ever do is beef up big corporations that challenge local
economies, we help to bring about a world in which local economies are
weak.  There are some interesting writings by Jane Jacobs about the
impact on local economies of large scale architectural features, like
urban roadways, parking spaces, offices, and housing and the relation
of those things to culture and regional economic health; perhaps IT
should be added to the list of architectural considerations.

-t