Subject: Judge does not rule on GPL
From: Ben_Tilly@trepp.com
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 11:34:19 -0500

Story:
  http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/02/02/27/020227hnmysql.xml

My take is that if the judge issues a preliminary judgement along the
lines of what she suggested were likely, there will be significant
impacts for various fsb business models because it will be harder to
enforce the GPL.  MySQL AB's business model is a dual-licensing model
similar to Sleepycat and others.  (You can get it GPL, or you can pay to
be proprietary.)  Pure GPL branding models (eg Red Hat) would obviously
also be affected.  I don't know what input can be given in the case at
this point, but some here may wish to try.

See paragraphs 24 and 25 of Eben's testimony at
http://www.fsf.org/press/mysql-affidavit.html for an explanation of why
section 4 is important for enforcement.

Cheers,
Ben