Subject: Re: Judge does not rule on GPL
From: Ian Lance Taylor <ian@airs.com>
Date: 28 Feb 2002 23:20:37 -0800

kragen@pobox.com (Kragen Sitaker) writes:

> Ian Taylor writes:
> > If the judge made a final judgement that the GPL termination clause
> > did not apply, that would matter a great deal.  In fact, the risk of
> > that happening is such that I personally think it's a very bad idea
> > to bring the GPL into court at all.
>
> Why would it matter so much?  To my knowledge, the GPL termination
> clause has never been invoked, and it seems that the threat of a
> copyright infringement suit for damages should be sufficient to keep
> violators in line.

You're right, I misspoke.  What I really mean is not the specific case
of GPL termination, but the whole of clause 4, which says that you may
not copy the program except as provided by the license.  I agree that
it would not severely harm the GPL if the second half of the second
sentence of clause 4 were removed.

Ian