Subject: Re: "buying": decision making vs. decision impact
From: Ben_Tilly@trepp.com
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 10:34:13 -0500

Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> davidw@dedasys.com (David N. Welton) writes:
>
> > > You only have to be smart enough to buy the best solution which is
> > > presented to you.  And the business press is out there working hard
> > > to point out the best solution.
> >
> > Are they really?  I'm less convinced of this, but you seem to have
> > lots of experience - maybe you can elucidate?
>
> In the enterprise IT space, I think the business press is actually
> pretty good.  By this I mean those large weekly magazines like
> Infoworld, CIO, Services News, etc.
>
> Of course, others may disagree.

I will disagree on Infoworld.

For many years they were good.  But in the last several years in my
biased opinion they have gone substantially downhill.  One of the big
reasons according to insiders I have talked to is declining advertising
revenue due to competition from the web.  Add some serious management
missteps and I gave up on them a year ago.

FWIW I have a bias.  I used to participate in their forums.  Due to some
seriously bone-headed moves on their part, they destroyed their forum
community.  What is left after a couple of years and 2 moves is now to
be found at http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/board/show?boardid=1.

Cheers,
Ben