Subject: Re: "buying": decision making vs. decision impact
From: Tom Lord <lord@regexps.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 13:14:57 -0800 (PST)

	Tom Lord wrote:

	> role of customer in the development process.  Free software
	> and open source processes answer many of the process
	> concerns the business press already knows about and do
	> something more: they open the door to

	Bjorn Reese:

	Could you elaborate on what these process concerns are?

Three examples:

What happens when you buy from a supplier that then goes out of
business or drops support for the product?  What if the product
provides functionality you really want, but isn't available from
suppliers whose future is more certain?

How do you reduce the risk of building infrastructure that doesn't
plug-and-play with future interfaces to your customers or suppliers?

How do you reduce the risk of security problems discovered after
deployment?

You elided my quote where I talked about Free Software and open source
processes opening the door to process concerns the press doesn't know
about (or at least isn't much writing about, that I've seen):

How do you choose technology whose implementation is sufficiently
tractable to permit facile changes to your IT infrastructure in an
increasingly fast-paced environment?  In other words, how to you
mitigate the behemoth legacy system problem 10 or 20 years down the
road?

How do you choose technology with the lowest barriers to adoption by
your business peers as new de facto standards arise?

How do you choose a software supply process that maximizes the
opportunities to implement continuous feedback between analysis of
your business needs and new development?

-t