Subject: Re: I wonder if Craig Mundie reads this list
From: Peter Wayner <pcw2@flyzone.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 17:15:49 -0500

At 2:26 PM -0800 3/4/02, Tom Lord wrote:
>He certainly seems to agree with my criticisms of current FSB models,
>though he describes those criticisms in absolute, rather than
>contingent terms, blaming on the licensing practices rather than
>business models.
>

>        Mundie: (http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-847303.html)
>
>        "If there is not commercialization there, a company can only exist
>        based on ancillary manufacturing or services. If commercialization was
>        cut down, investors would not support research and development in the
        IT sector, less projects would be developed, less taxes paid ...

My understanding is that MS paid zero corporate taxes during 2001.
Viva les loopholes. Of course, there were probably some property
taxes paid by the landlords, income taxes paid by the employees and
sales taxes paid by the customers. But you might argue that MS's
talented bookkeepers are also keeping tax money out of the commonweal.

And government may not get taxes from open source, but they do get
software that generally works. That's worth a fortune.

-Peter