Subject: Re: Back to FSB: "buying": decision making vs. decision impact
From: Ian Lance Taylor <ian@airs.com>
Date: 04 Mar 2002 15:37:43 -0800

Tom Lord <lord@regexps.com> writes:

> Maybe I should add: STOP BEING SO F-ING SIMULTANEOUSLY EGOTISTICAL,
> INSECURE, AND RIDDEN-BY-CLASS-GUILT THAT YOU CONFUSE CRITICISM WITH
> CONDESCENSION.  OR ARE YOU ASSERTING THAT PERSONS OF AUTHORITY ARE
> DIRECT-LINED TO TRUTH AND THUS BEYOND MAKING SYSTEMATIC MISTAKES THAT
> MIGHT BE POINTED OUT ON A MAILING LIST?  The universe of discourse
> that discovers truth has never been all sweetness and light and an
> egoless approach is the healthiest, though I hestitated before
> reminding you of that since *that*, where I come from, is
> condescending.

Geeze, Tom, talk about the pot calling the kettle black.  Gumby
criticizes you for condescending, and instead of either accepting or
rejecting the criticism, you accuse him of confusing condescension and
criticism as you do exactly that yourself.

Accusing somebody of the same thing which they are accusing you of is
a nifty rhetorical trick, and often surprisingly effective even when
untrue.

I don't think I'm going to contribute any further to this collection
of threads until I hear that Tom has actually made some sales calls on
some enterprise IT groups.  You can win any argument if you can invent
your facts.

Ian