Subject: Re: Development Shop FSB
From: Nick Jennings <nick@namodn.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 11:26:10 -0800

On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 11:06:49PM -0800, Tom Lord wrote:
>    > and "gcc" projects, but hold back in the installation program and
>    > upgrade-over-the-net spaces.
>
>    As far as I know, Red Hat's update-over-the-net program is called
>    up2date (I've never used it myself).  The sources are on the Red Hat
>    web site and are included on the Red Hat CD.  I don't know about the
>    installation program--I'm not sure what it's name is.
>
> I wasn't talking about up2date, I was talking about the software
> infrastructure behind this: "https://rhn.redhat.com/overview_workgroup.pxt".

 It should be noted that 'up2date' does not allow you to "upgrade" over
 the net, but rather just "update" (security and bugfixes). They do
 not provide a mechanism for upgrading your distribution (i.e. 7.1 ->
 7.2). This is obviously a purposefull decision to try to pull in
 additional revenue for every release.

 'anaconda' is the name of the installer, it is free software and
 developed by RedHat I believe.

--
Nick Jennings