Subject: Re: Development Shop FSB
From: Tom Lord <lord@regexps.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 00:55:08 -0800 (PST)

       One important issue is that of test suites.  GCC and G++, for example,
       have their own testsuites, but, despite all of our efforts, their
       quality and coverage lags behind some proprietary testsuites and
       benchmarks, of which Red Hat is a licensee.

That's really interesting and is clearly a case where Red Hat as
"magic testing cauldron" is good thing.  I wonder if those licensing
agreements lock Red Hat out of writing a competing free testsuite.

	   Of course, this doesn't stop us from creating or accepting new
	   testcases to the public testsuite, as long as it is in our right to
	   release them.

Right, and it'd be nice to work on a business model that would give
you resources and degrees of freedom to eliminate the need for the
proprietary testsuites so that better testing could be distributed
among all contributors.

-t