Subject: Re: Development Shop FSB
From: Tom Lord <lord@regexps.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 09:03:52 -0800 (PST)

Yeah, ok, I'll go do that.  Thanks for your insight.

-t

   Cc: fsb@crynwr.com
   From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@xemacs.org>
   Date: 13 Mar 2002 12:27:07 +0900
   Sender: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <steve@tleepslib.sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>

       Tom> Their demand is embryonic and problematic: each of them has
       Tom> their own proprietary toolboxes including licenses from Sun;
       Tom> they don't, for the most part, recognize themselves as a
       Tom> market (though, interestingly, they do form consortiums and
       Tom> partnerships); companies like Red Hat aren't, for the most
       Tom> part, offering them the kinds of development and design
       Tom> services that would answer such a demand.  But the business
       Tom> need is there and so is the opportunity to make the new
       Tom> market a reality.

   Um, has it ever occurred to you that maybe Red Hat has a good business
   of its own, with plenty of opportunity to satisfy what its customers
   see as really important needs?  That that business has far less risk
   than pioneering new business "opportunities" identified by somebody
   whose main contribution to _business_ seems to be identifying ways to
   spend other people's money?

   Of course, you don't have money of your own to bet.  What you do have
   is time and skills.  So...

   Why don't you go bet the resources you do have?  Get a job, _any_ job,
   at Red Hat.  Pay your dues, work your way up.  Show that you not only
   can write and maintain great software, but that you have good business
   sense, that you're bringing in new customers, and getting more revenue
   from the old ones.  Then present your bold new business plan to
   management as a way of doing more of the same, in a big chunk.