Subject: Re: the GCC steering committee
From: Tom Lord <lord@regexps.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 00:21:29 -0800 (PST)

I said:

   > Back before the GCC steering committee, there was a formally neutral
   > arbiter, legally bound to operate in the public interest, who decided
   > questions about the evolution of the public GCC sources.

   > In practice, the arbiter was under-resourced,
   > essentially run by the controversial judgment of a very small number
   > of people

And Ian said:

   There was?  Maybe the FSF in theory was the arbiter, but not in
   practice.  There was Richard Kenner, who was (and presumably is) an
   employee of GNAT.  There was Richard Stallman, FSF founder and
   volunteer but not employee, whose main contribution to gcc at the time
   of the egcs split was to assert, despite many complaints, that Richard
   Kenner was the sole maintainer and that everything had to go through
   him.

Of course, RMS was also an officer of the FSF, as I'm sure Ian knows.
So my description was completely accurate and is affirmed by Ian's
description, even though that description is framed as a disagreement.
Go figure.

-t