Subject: Re: the GCC steering committee
From: "Jonathan S. Shapiro" <shap@eros-os.org>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 14:28:56 -0500

[Tom writes]

> That is, as others have said, the right to fork is the force which
> creates equity in the open source world.  It's a blunt instrument, and
> one which only creates a limited form of equity, but it is real
> nonetheless.

Sorry -- I meant to address this part too.

How many forks of the RedHat tree have happened over the years? How many has
the market actually payed any attention to? If I forked the RedHat
distribution tomorrow, would *anybody* -- even those of you on this list --
give a damn? Heck. Would anybody even *notice*?

shap