Subject: Re: How to run an FSB R&D lab (maybe)
From: Simon Cozens <simon@netthink.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 10:03:58 +0000

Tom Lord:
> So I guess the right model is to pay people to hang around, have a
> budget for honorariums for lectures, buy stack privileges at some
> nearby campus libraries, encourage people to set up comfortable
> hacking nests, throw some good social events, patronize the local
> establishments of bleeding edge culture, hire a mix of people as if
> you were planning a really good party, then walk around a lot to keep
> up with what's going on and figure out where you need to send in the
> technology transfer troops.

Bernard's right; why should a company spend money doing this when
universities are doing it for you? You'd have to hire a *lot* of people
to get the same sort of social dynamics you were discussing, and not
all of these people will be productive enough for you. Where, as a great
man once asked, is the ROI?

--
	} /* the next line is indented funny to preserve old indentation */
    - plan9 has a bad day