Subject: Re: How to run an FSB R&D lab (maybe)
From: Tom Lord <lord@regexps.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 02:54:04 -0800 (PST)

           Simon:
           Hey, look at all the neat stuff universities are doing.
	   Well, let universities do it.
	   But they're not doing it.

But the converstation actually went:

	Tom: Hey, look at all the neat things that happen when people are
	     (dis)organized in the manner of university student hacker
	     populations.  That's the pattern by which to run an FSB
	     R&D lab.  [Various observations about what's significant
	     about the pattern and why it's relevant to businesses.]

	Bernard: That's academia.

	Tom: Not quite.  It's a social pattern that occurs on top of
	     academia, and I'm proposing recreating it in a lab
	     context with people with more skills and knowledge than
	     university students.

	Simon: Bernard's right -- that's what universities do.  Why
	       should a business bother?

	Tom: No, it's not what universities do.  I'm proposing doing
	     it with people with more skill and knowledge than a
	     student population. [Explanation of the strategy of
	     potentiation.]

	Simon: First you say it's what universities do, then you say
	       it's not what they do, which is it?

	Tom: But the conversation actually went: [....]

Emulating aspects of a pattern that achieves success in a university
context isn't the same thing as doing what universities do.

-t